The Idaho House and Senate Democrats seek a dynamic, highly-organized individual with strong communication skills to fill the fast-paced role of Communications and Development Director.
The role reports directly to the House and Senate leaders, while also serving all caucus members. The position is based in our Boise office, with on-site responsibilities at the Idaho Statehouse during the legislative session (January-March).
This is an exempt, full-time salaried position, with benefits negotiable as part of the package. Compensation package is commensurate with experience; salary is $60,000-$65,000 annually.
The successful candidate will:
- Have demonstrated capacity in juggling competing priorities and responding to multiple stakeholders
- Be proactive and able to take initiative, identifying new ways to expand Democratic message
- Be able to write clear, concise and compelling pieces about a range of complex issues, often with a very short turnaround time
- Understand messaging and media relations
- Have knowledge of current public policy issues in Idaho
- Ideally have graphic design skills and experience representing data graphically and digitally
- Ideally have experience with fundraising, video editing, events, and donor communications
- Develop and implement a long-term communications strategy, plans and messages for the caucus
- Develop and execute earned media strategy for the legislative session
- Provide caucus members with media assistance year-round
- Manage and execute the caucus rapid response program to hold Republicans accountable
- Pitch TV, radio and print outlets on the Joint Democrats’ legislative efforts
- Write talking points, assist caucus members with preparation for media appearances, and ensure message continuity across all external communications products
- Manage media requests, develop and be in frequent contact with local and national reporters and bloggers covering Idaho politics
- Write press releases with clear, clean, concise and accurate content under deadline pressure in the high-energy, fast-paced atmosphere of the legislative session
- Facilitate press conferences and other earned media events including writing media advisories and follow-up to ensure press attendance
- Develop and manage a robust social media program as per the budget provided
- Draft, edit and place op-eds
- Maintain a robust media contact list
- Draft and send e-newsletters
- Maintain a current, compelling website
- Assist with fund development activities such as drafting appeals and other donor communications and event planning
The Idaho House and Senate Democrats are an equal-opportunity employer, and are committed to including groups historically underrepresented due to race/ethnicity, religion, age, gender identity, sexual orientation, and/or disability. We strongly encourage members of underrepresented and marginalized communities to apply.
Interested candidates should send a resume and cover letter to Sen. Melissa Wintrow at firstname.lastname@example.org. Review of applications is ongoing, but applications submitted before April 21, 2022, will be given first consideration.