(English | Español)
2018 Idaho Democratic Platform
We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.
– Preamble to the United States Constitution
We, the Idaho Democratic Party, are unified to serve the needs of all Idahoans. Idaho Democrats uphold the protections and responsibilities guaranteed to us by our state and national Constitutions. We fight for everyone to attain those rights and liberties when not fully realized. We stand for excellence in government, respect, compassion, unity, and liberty.
1. We Require Equality And Respect For All Idahoans.
● We treat all people equally regardless of race, ethnicity, color, religion, sex, national origin, immigration and/or refugee status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, or age.
● We respect personal decisions that are private, including medical and reproductive decisions, religious practices, and political views.
● We respect and honor Idaho’s tribal sovereign nations.
2. We Require An Economy That Works For All Idahoans.
● We support job creation through sustainable agriculture, mining, timber, and manufacturing, while expanding industries such as technology, clean energy, and tourism.
● We support effective public transportation, modern telecommunications, public infrastructure, including the safe and timely maintenance and repair of roads, bridges, and public buildings.
● We demand fair and affordable housing, childcare, and will fight to end homelessness.
● We demand fair banking, lending, and investment practices that enhance healthy communities and support Idaho businesses and individuals.
● We demand the protection of the Social Security Trust Fund.
● We demand equal pay for equal work.
3. We Require Free, Safe, And Equal Public Education
● We demand the Idaho legislature fully and completely fund all Idaho public schools. We demand public funding for public schools.
● We support Pre-K education.
● We support vocational and technical schools, apprenticeship programs, and tuition free post-secondary education, including two- and four-year colleges.
● We support our teachers and staff, including competitive compensation and their right to collective bargaining.
4. We Require Accessible, Affordable, And Comprehensive Healthcare In Every Community. We Believe Healthcare Is A Human Right And Not A Privilege.
● We demand Medicaid expansion.
● We demand access to mental health care and other necessary social services.
● We believe that no one in Idaho should die from a preventable illness or go bankrupt due to medical expenses and prescription drug costs.
● We demand fair and comprehensive access to healthcare for every Idahoan.
● We demand affordable healthcare to include the prevention of drug addiction and provide care and rehabilitation services for those suffering from addiction.
● We uphold an individual’s right to choose and their access to reproductive medical care.
● We support the legalization of CBD oil for medical use.
5. We Advocate For Widespread Voter And Civic Participation.
● We endorse modern methods of voter registration, increased opportunities to cast ballots, and accurate verification of counted votes.
● We elect candidates that represent all people and are accountable and responsive to all their constituents.
● We demand that the Idaho independent redistricting commission remain unchanged.
● We demand voting in Idaho shall be free of foreign influence.
● We support legislation that empowers local communities.
6. We Require Honest And Transparent Government.
● We demand open and transparent government.
● We demand all Idahoans have access to their government.
● We support the adoption of the recommendation of the 2017 panel for financial disclosure by legislators.
● We embrace the role of the free press as the guardians of democracy.
● We support campaign finance reform; corporations are not people.
7. We Believe In The Strengths Of Working People And Labor Unions, As They Are The Driving Force Behind Healthy Communities.
● We demand fair and equal treatment in the workplace that supports a livable wage.
● We believe in and work for a healthy economy that supports thriving families.
● We demand the repeal of Right to Work.
● We support labor unions and the worker’s right to organize and engage in collective bargaining free from government or business interference.
● We support businesses that act responsibly toward the working people, the State, and the environment.
8. We Require A Fair And Equitable Tax Policy.
● We demand the elimination of all sales tax exemptions.
● We support a graduated corporate income tax rate.
● We require businesses to be responsible and pay their fair share of the budgetary needs of the state.
● We oppose using General Fund tax dollars for transportation infrastructure.
● We support local option taxing authority for cities and counties.
9. We Honor Military Service.
● We demand diplomacy before sending the people of our Armed Forces into harm’s way.
● We demand the defense of human rights around the world.
● We encourage, appreciate, and support all Idahoans and their families, serving in the military.
● We honor our veterans and support their successful return to their communities, including the guaranteed funding and protection of their post-service benefits.
10. We Believe In Being Good Stewards Of The Environment.
● We maintain a clean and healthful environment, including clean water and watersheds, clean air, and wild places.
● We commit to fact- and science-based measures to prevent and mitigate the effects of climate change.
● We require close regulation and monitoring of hydrocarbon development in Idaho to protect our water resources, property rights, and rural communities.
● We support the humane treatment of domestic, industrial, and wild animals.
● We recognize Idaho’s outdoor enthusiasts, including our heritage of fair chase hunting and fishing open to all Idahoans.
● We will keep Federal public lands inviolate and protect their ecological integrity; keeping public lands in public hands.
● We honor the place of sustainable family-owned agriculture in Idaho’s history.
● We stand with the farmers, ranchers, and workers who build the land’s natural abundance, biodiversity, and resilience.
● We support clean energy and sustainability of natural resources.
11. We Demand A Fair And Effective Criminal Justice System.
● We demand all laws to be created fairly and uniformly enforced.
● We demand community law enforcement work in partnership with the citizens they serve.
● We believe victims, plaintiffs, and defendants have the right to speedy and fair trials.
● We believe bail must be fair and responsible.
● We believe in the importance of the public defender and the right of all people to have counsel. Sentencing must be proportionate to the crime committed with particular deference to rehabilitation and humanity.
● We reject private prisons.
● We demand a justice system that provides rehabilitation, enhanced education, access to mental healthcare, and employment opportunities.
● We demand a restorative criminal justice system free of bias regarding race, economic status, and other marginalized communities.
12. We Uphold America’s Tradition Of Welcoming Immigrants
● We recognize immigrants as our neighbors, our co-workers, and our schoolmates. Our children will lead Idaho together and make Idaho strong.
● We demand the ethical treatment of those seeking opportunity and safety in the country.
● We demand comprehensive and compassionate immigration reform.
13. We Support The Legalization Of Cannabis
● We believe medical cannabis should be a legal and available treatment option.
● We believe recreational cannabis should be allowed for those 21 years of age and older.
● We believe all cannabis tax revenue should be directed to additional educational funding and infrastructure improvement in our state.
● We believe the cultivation of agricultural hemp should be an option for Idaho farmers.
14. We Support The Full Text Of The Second Amendment: “A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.”
● We demand universal criminal background checks.
● We demand laws that keep guns out of the hands of convicted domestic abusers.
● We support the rights of hunters and sportspersons in Idaho.
● We support scientific research on gun violence.