Idaho Dems came to Moscow and finished the work we came to do–write and agree upon a new platform.
Not only did we agree to a concise statement of our values, but Idaho Dems did so unanimously.
In fact, after two openplatform hearings, the final version was adopted with no motions to amend.
Idaho Dems know how to work together to get our business accomplished.
Note: This is hot off the press and we haven’t spotted any typos yet. But, if you find one, let us know and we’ll fix it!
2014 Idaho Democratic Platform
We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.
–Preamble to the United States Constitution
We, the members of the Idaho Democratic Party, seek a better future for the present generation and for generations to come. This platform serves as a statement of the values of the Idaho Democratic Party.
Idaho Democrats assert that as citizens of our state and our country, we promise to uphold the protections granted to us by our state and national constitutions. We firmly oppose any attempt to compromise those rights and liberties in the name of governmental convenience or security. Where those rights and liberties are not fully realized, we pledge to help everyone within our borders to attain them.
We are committed to make government at all levels more responsive, more accountable, more transparent and more cost effective while upholding the rights and responsibilities set forth in the U.S. Constitution, the Bill of Rights, the Amendments and the Idaho Constitution.
1. Idaho Democrats Support An Economy that Works for Everyone. We recognize the need to strengthen Idaho’s economy and drive economic development through job creation and job training; fostering innovation in manufacturing, technology, and services; and promoting energy efficiency through a broad portfolio of energy production. We believe in supporting traditional economic drivers such as agriculture, mining, timber and tourism, while expanding new industries. We support effective transportation, modern telecommunications and necessary public infrastructure.
2. Idaho Democrats Believe In Providing A World Class System of Public Education. We stand behind the Idaho constitutional requirement for public education, which states, “…it shall be the duty of the legislature of Idaho, to establish and maintain a general, uniform and thorough system of public, free common schools.”
Public education must be a “system” that begins during early childhood and continues through higher education. Teaching should be based on standards and best practices that maximize student learning. Affordable access, provided by community colleges, vocational/technical schools, and research universities, is essential. Public education funding should be stable and appropriate, and be maintained and protected from variability in the state budget.
3. Idaho Democrats Believe in Safe Communities Where Families Thrive. We know that Idaho communities, rural and urban, provide economic opportunity through jobs and business development. We support fair banking and investment practices that enhance community growth. A safe environment, a healthy family life, and access to affordable quality health care, including mental health care and necessary social services, are essential to every community.
4. Idaho Democrats Believe In Democracy Based on Honesty. We believe that elected officials must be chosen for their competence and honesty. We expect them to be responsive and open to the public and to act with integrity in the service of all Idahoans. Wealthy special interests should not outweigh the voice of individual voters. Widespread voter participation is critical to a healthy democracy and is an essential component of a successful State.
5. Idaho Democrats Demand Equality and Respect for all Idahoans. We believe that diversity is essential to the well-being of a democratic society. We support legal protection of human rights. We affirm our commitment to fairness and respect for all people and believe that all people should be treated equally regardless of race, ethnicity, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or age. We believe that the freedom to make personal decisions should be respected and remain private, including medical and reproductive decisions, religious beliefs and political views.
6. Idaho Democrats Support Workers and Business People. We all contribute to our common prosperity and deserve a fair chance to achieve the American Dream. We affirm the right of workers to organize, to bargain collectively and to earn livable wages. We support businesses, large and small, and believe they are crucial to a thriving economy. We believe that corporations must contribute their fair share and operate responsibly.
7. Idaho Democrats Support Our Military. We support the robust defense of our national security and the defense of human rights around the world, but we encourage diplomacy before sending the men and women of our Armed Forces into harm’s way. We encourage, appreciate and support those serving in the military and their families, both in wartime and in peace. We honor our veterans, support their successful return to society and are committed to meeting our obligations to them.
8. Idaho Democrats Believe In Being Good Stewards. We support wise management balanced with long-term protection of our natural resources. For the sake of future generations, we are committed to taking proactive measures to prevent and mitigate the effects of climate change. We support the humane treatment of animals. We recognize Idaho’s heritage of hunting and fishing, and we support protection of our wild places, wildlife and access to public lands. We honor the place of family owned agriculture in Idaho’s history and we stand with farm and ranch workers in their role as productive stewards of our land, protecting it for future Idahoans.